Here's our Hardware Tip for.. July 30, 1999
Click Here to see a complete list of all of our previously released Tips!
IEEE 1394 (aka FireWire)
What is IEEE 1394 anyway?
The IEEE 1394 multimedia connection (also known as FireWire) enables simple, low-cost, high-bandwidth isochronous (real-time) data interfacing between computers, peripherals, and consumer electronics products such as camcorders, VCRs, printers, PCs, TVs, and digital cameras. With IEEE 1394-compatible products and systems, users can transfer video or still images from a camera or camcorder to a printer, PC, or television, with no image degradation.
- It's Fast - 100/200/400 Megabits per second (Mbs) or 12.5/25/50 Megabytes per second (MBs)
- It's Guaranteed - both isochronous (guaranteed bandwidth) and asynchronous transfers
- It's Consumer Friendly - small connectors, hot plug, auto ID & termination
- It's Expandable - 63 devices (16 daisy chained), 4.5m flexible cable
- Although IEEE 1394 and USB (Universal Serial Bus) are similar technologies, you cannot interchange IEEE 1394 connections with USB connections.
- Windows 98 currently supports IEEE 1394.